Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Valentine's Emergency



Happy Valentines Day!


I'm not sure how I feel about Valentine's day, I can't say I've ever been a huge fan nor seen it as a big deal, but I appreciate that to a lot of people, this is a big day, so I wish you all well.


Remember the days back in public school, when you were required to bring cards for the whole class? The kids with the cool mom's brought cards with chocolates taped to them; all we had to do was sign our names and everything was gravy. Why can't it be that way now? Now, we are all on the search for the perfect Valentines card that says all we want to say in pretty fonts with just enough glitter, and just enough room to add in a sentence or two of your own. 


For me, I'm having trouble finding a card that says all I want it to say. 


Where are the cards that say "I'm so proud of you" and then go on to mention hours of work on personal time, meetings on Friday nights till seven, and managing the frustration of building a business. The card would also mention the appreciation of working now to enjoy later, because that is a very admirable quality.


In what aisle are the real life cards? The card's that balance out the years of bliss with a simple "I know it's hard sometimes, but I can't picture my life without you." Relationships can't be described in a few paragraphs, let alone a few paragraphs that make it sound as if everyday is an all expenses paid trip to the Bahamas. I'd like to find an honest card, a card that says all of that mushy stuff, and is capped off with "...but today I find you annoying."


What bothers me the most, are cards with the phrase "I love everything about you." Is this true? Am I the only one who feels that this is a heavy statement? My ideal version of this card would read somewhere along the lines of "even though you forget to put soap in the cat's dish, I love you for feeding him every morning." Or how about "I love your smile, but could you please stop eating my candy and not replacing it?" 


I like the cards that come with little coupons, little promises to do things when the coupon is given. From my knowledge these are available in all ranges of favours from taking out the garbage to something with "that thing" - but I've never found one with real promises. Why are these favours done only in exchange of a coupon? Why not have cards in which you promise something that can benefit both of you [and not involve that thing]. If I could make my own, mine would say "I promise to smile more often" and "I promise to take the time to correctly open packages." If I ever found a card that said "I promise to include you in my plans more often" or "I'll do my best to rinse out my tea leaves right away" I'd buy them in a minute.


Lastly, why isn't there a card that can bring everything into perspective in one sentence, with no glitter and no fancy writing. A card that reminds you of your past promises that still hold true today. A card reading "I promise to love you in good times and in bad, when life seems easy and when it seems hard, when our love is simple and when it is an effort."


I have looked at cards for weeks and none have said any of the above. 
It is officially Valentines day now, and therefore I am out of time. 
This will be my first Valentines day that I don't have a card to give and this year I really wanted to give a good card


I wanted to give a card that would make you stop and realize that at the end of the day, I'll always be there for you, I'm always on your side, and that you do make me happy. A card that includes not only parts of the above, but all of it - because I really do mean it, and I really will work on my promises. 


I don't think I'll ever find a card like this and that's too bad, because my words are important and I need to find a way to get them across. 


I guess I'll just have to get creative.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said.
Mom

Post a Comment