Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Dear Blazer...

I Love You.
You are casually refined, very forgiving, and you go with everything. From work to play, from black to gold, you mesh with all my favourite things. I admire how you take everything I throw at you, and simply make it better. You are fun to dress up or down, and let me be whoever I want to be that day with no questions asked. Most importantly, when all else fails, you never disappoint, and for that, I am forever grateful.


Am I pathetic for loving some of my clothes this much? If my clothes were people, I'd write them letters like this every day just so they knew how much I appreciate them. I'd hang them with all their friends of similar colour, style, shape, and texture - and I'd NEVER drop them on my floor after a hard day at the bar work. I'd wash them carefully, dry cleaning the extra special ones, and never subject them to my devil of a dryer. My clothes would have the best life ever.

Hold on a second... they do. They definitely do because that above is how I treat all my clothes. Granted my gymnastics sweatpants along with a few other items do take regular spins in the dryer, but generally, I like to hang up or fold all of my clothes, and like most girls (maybe a few boys) my closet is colour coordinated, which isn't too hard when everything is black.

I was thinking about both my work and social schedule for the next few weeks and I realized that I wanted to wear my favourite Wilfred Satin Boyfriend Blazer (available at Aritzia [image 27]) to everything, and that it would go perfectly for almost any occasion that I had coming up. I said I would share my personal fashion ideas on this blog, so here is one of my number ones.


Every girl should own a blazer.


Go from work to after work cocktails with some employees?
Going to a "casual" work meeting.
First date? Blind date?
Have a lot of really cool shirts that aren't snow friendly?
Too tired to get dressed up but need to look put together?
Have that little black dress that may be too flashy for the wedding ceremony but will rock the reception?

A Blazer is the answer.
A Blazer is always the answer.

Not necessarily the blazer you wore to your first job interview that was so uncomfortable you were distracted and couldn't wait to get home to rip it off, along with the nylons you swore you'd never wear again. The blazer I'm talking about is a little more casual, a little looser and longer - a Boyfriend Blazer [boyfriend not required]. It falls a little below your waist and can be worn with a dress, a dressy top, or just a plain old white T with jeans and some bangles and still looks great. It should fit you comfortably and should only include shoulder pads if you're going for a very 80s vintage look or feel (ps if you are, Zara has a great one). Boyfriend blazers don't necessarily need to be tailored or come in at the waist, but they should look distinctively different than the top of your go to interview suit. Boyfriend blazers have no age limit.

Blazers don't need to be expensive, and if you aren't sure that you should have one (you should) I would recommend keeping the cost low. In fact, if you dont have a blazer and want one, log off immediately and either run to Kohls or click here to purchase this perfect boyfriend blazer (right - on SALE), check out those cute cuffed sleeves - I want!


Already have a blazer? Looking to up the ante, or to buy me a nice friendship gift? The blazer pictured in my love note (yes, the feathers are attached...sigh...) can be purchased here.

Happy Blazing :)

1 comments:

Michele and David said...

This made me wanna run out and grab that Lauren Conrad 'on-sale' blazer @ Kohl's during my lunch...I with-held the urge..we are 'bead-boarding' the bathrooms, and this simply would be an impulse buy!! Still fabulous & I.must.have.

Post a Comment